As always, a complete set of site navigation options is available at the bottom of this page.
The Romance Tradition: Folklore 113
Thursday, February 6, 1986
I. The pre-Chrétien Tradition
Def. of Breton "Lai"
Controversy over Biketās Lai du Cor (humorous): not solemn, elevated.
A. p. 105: Mangon of Moraine sends the horn to Arthur. Amangon as Grail king or brother of Grail King in Continental tradition.
B. pp. 108-9: Chastity test. Lai du Cor interesting since men try object instead of women. Note similarity of description of Caradoc to Lancelot. Lancelot's wife, Iblis or Elaine, consistently passes this test. Winner of test keeps horn/robe, just as winner of Grail Quest keeps Grail.
C. Knew Wace.
II. Chrétien, Father of the Arthurian tradition.
A. Distribute handout.
B. Rape of Guinevere in Arthurian tradition.
1. Someone carries off Guinevere (usually abductor's name starts with "m").
2. Melegrant in most Continental variants.
1. Always introduced as anonymous.
2. Acquires a name in the course of adventures (Knight of the Cart).
3. Special friendship with Gawain.
4. Introduction of Lady of the Lake (p. 111)
5. Lancelot, not Gawain, rescues Guinevere
6. Chrétien establishes Lancleot as the lover of Guinevere. Lanzelet. Although Guinevere has had lovers before (e.g., Mordred in Wace), Lancelot sticks. Courtly love.
7. Lancelot the prisoner.
a. Damsel rescues Lancelot (Hag, virgin, or child).
b. Lancelot firmly in Arthurian tradition.
Pre-School & Kindergarten ||
Elementary School ||
Middle School ||
Undergraduate || Graduate || Adult Learners || Short Seminars & Lectures
Textbooks and Films || Maps || Graphics || Audio and Video Files || Related Websites
Arthurnet Discussions || Pedagogy Page || Arthuriana Main Page
Site Administrator: Alan Baragona firstname.lastname@example.org
Last revised: August 5, 2014
This page is http://www.arthuriana.org/teaching/lecture_folklore_malcor.html
SMU Required Secondary Information Server Disclaimer:
The contents of this Secondary Information Server are the sole responsibility of Arthuriana and its contributors, and do not necessarily represent the opinions or policies of Southern Methodist University or the Norwick Center for Media and Instructional Technology. The administrator of this Secondary Information Service is Bonnie Wheeler email@example.com